Renewing an Employment Authorization Document

A lot of people don’t realize just how meaningful the ability to work is. In addition to being able to earn income to support yourself and those you love, working often provides an unparalleled sense of self-worth as well as the potential to contribute to society. Work permits, also known as Employment Authorization Documents or EADs, are therefore crucial to those who are not U.S. citizens or green card holders but are residing here for months to years.

Whether you need to get an EAD for the first time or are looking to renew a current work permit, you’ve come to the right place. The process can be long, but it doesn’t have to be tedious. We’re here to help you along the way.

Please feel free to contact our offices (with locations in Phoenix, Toronto, and Vancouver) at any time to discuss your specific case and U.S. work authorization needs. In the meantime, here is some useful information about the employment authorization document process. If you have already attained an EAD and are looking to renew, please feel free to scroll ahead!

Getting Approved for an EAD

Getting an EAD is a necessary part of being able to work as a non-citizen in the United States. Any legal job will require you to have one, and there can be serious ramifications for working without one. So on that note, please be wary of any job offer that tells you not to get a work permit.

How Do I Apply?

To get approved for an EAD, you will need to fill out form I-765 and submit it to the USCIS along with the required filing fee. At this time, you will also need to demonstrate your current residency status and / or your pending status.

‘Legal’ Status Does Not Mean ‘Work’ Status

In many cases, people who are physically in the United States legally are still not able to hold legal employment. It’s important to remember that legal status and work authorization are different things, despite the fact that you do need legal status in order to gain work authorization.

It is therefore important that you are always aware of your exact status in the U.S. Whether you are waiting on a green card, are here to attend university, are here for only a short religious trip or are planning to get married to a citizen, you should do everything you can to be a legal resident. Likewise, you should take care not to work until you have valid employment authorization documents. You should also have a good idea of the amount of time you would like to stay in the U.S., whether temporarily or eventually as a permanent citizen.

Renewing an EAD

If you’ve already gotten an EAD, then you know just how important it is. As someone who has previously gotten authorization to work in the United States, you’ve put in effort to get where you’re at. We believe that your employment authorization approval / renewal should not be a difficult process, and that’s why we’re here to help! We will look at the individual details of your renewal case and do whatever we can to help you renew your work documents as quickly and painlessly as possible. should also have a good idea of the amount of time you would like to stay in the U.S., whether temporarily or eventually as a permanent citizen.

When Should You Apply for Renewal?

If you have already held a work permit, then you probably already know that these documents can be valid for anywhere from a few months to up to two years. It is therefore important to know when exactly yours will expire. Ideally, you should be applying for renewal as early as possible in order to prevent issues and unnecessary stress. If your work documents are valid for a year or longer, for example, you will be able to apply for renewal as early as 120 days or four months before they expire.

Forms Required for Renewal

To successfully renew your work authorization documents, you will need to fill out form I-765. You will also be required to submit photocopies of your previously issued work permit(s) and form I-797, as well as your USCIS approval of any previous permits.

If you are seeking to change your resident status, you must also do so at this time. You will also need to submit the form-filing fee and two passport-style photos.

How Long Does Renewal Take?

The exact amount of time a work permit renewal takes can vary. You are more likely to be approved quickly if you have an extended offer of employment, good references (not necessary but helpful), no criminal record here in the U.S., and all your paperwork properly filled out with no missing components.

That said, the whole process typically takes at least 150 days. So again, it’s a good idea to start the process early!

How Long Does Renewal Take?

Reading through the information on this page was a great first step towards getting your EAD renewal or new permit! Now it’s time to start gathering the necessary paperwork and identification. But don’t worry— we’ll be there to help you along the way!

At your nearest convenience, please reach out to us online or by phone to learn more. Or, stop by our offices in person to meet with us. We look forward to getting to know you and helping you get the work authorization you need!